Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Re-relocated

So what is worth your ear's time? I think I can fill up a day's worth of hearing, but to tune into my wavelength, consider the following:

The Foxglove Hunt - with influences like The Pet Shop Boys, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Tears For Fears, New Order, The Human League, The Smiths, The Psychedelic Furs... you know this is gonna be good. It's infectious! I hear a lot of New Order here, but that is probably due to the fact that Ronnie Martin is on this recording! He is the man behind Joy Electric and the brother of Jason Martin, of Starflyer 59 / Tooth and Nail Records fame. The brothers collaborated on the lovely "The Brothers Martin" project, which I highly recommend. I might mention that the Martins are Christians. Listen and think again about writing-off Christian artists. Listen to "The Plot That Weaves" and try not to get goose-bumps!

OK, so what is next in my heavy rotation? I can say that Gentle Touch keep resurfacing. "In Memory of Savannah" is a masterpiece of gentle synth sensibility. The whole affair could find some space on the dance-floor and on your iPod's most intimate "I want to be alone" moments. You buy it!

Universal Poplab's "Fame & Hate" is worth a mention. Dancey, echoey...the vocals remind me of Apoptygma Berserk. Fame and Hate (Emmon rmx) is 6 minutes of modern synthpop bliss! Remember, Emmon mixed up Take Me Home (Don Juan Dracula), Melody Club's "Fever Fever" and "Baby Stand Up"...and I had great success when I DJ'd these tracks!

It's taking a long time to get Portishead's "Third" to grow on me. I was a trip-hop DJ for years, and that's how I made my mark, but it's 2008 and I guess I just wanted more of 1998. Beth Gibbons sounds as fresh as ever, but the whole of it has been wrecked., for me, by imitators, I think.

Morten Harket's "Darkspace" has me freaking out. This is pop at its best. No apologies here. The lyrics drip with moons, hearts, love, and wherevers. This is the unmistakable voice of Morten Harket of Ah-Ha, who will be always be remembered for 1985's "Take On Me". Norwegians ho!

The Futureheads "This Is Not The World". Only about 40 minutes long, but every track was worth including. No B-sides here. I love the sing-along choruses. This band continues to appeal to me and I can't really put a finger on why. Perhaps it's the accent, the 3 minute songs and the punky choruses. "Radio Heart" will likely find its way onto an upcoming mix.

On a local mention, Jezebel and The Verso are scheduled for the Ken Club, June 20th. I have call in with Dorian, vox/ guitar of Jezebel to confirm the show. Post-punk lives through these San Diego bands, so please support 'em!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Found your podcast while searching for people blogging about the Foxglove Hunt. You introduced me to Van She and Cut/Copy... Wow. Thank you, and keep it up.