Sunday, May 16, 2010

May Gray and Happy Music!

It's a May Gray day here in San Diego. Next month, we get June Gloom. I am fine with it, after living in the eternal sunshine of the Coachella Valley from 1981 to 1991. I like weather and the Valley has teasing rain, and a few pool-filling sand storms to offer.
So, today, I am listening to the whole body of The Depreciation Guild. They will release "Spirit Youth" on May 18th. Fans of The Pains of Being Pure At Heart will recognize Kurt Feldman's voice in both acts. So, if you are into one or the other bands, you're sure to be satisfied with the sound. I'd venture to say that The Depreciation Guild is less poppy and more like the Jesus and Mary Chain and some Slowdive in the mix. Pains are more accessible and indiepop, which is no bad thing at all. I love both acts equally. The xx fans should explore both acts.

After all the above, the day moved into The Insect Guide, which you simply must go and listen to. If the above acts have any interest to you, The Insect Guide will certainly become a listening staple. I adore the new single "Wasted"... let's hope for a video soon! I love the artwork with the cross visible.

Like Sugar PopCast 31 has moved to this URL. So please give a listen...it's more dance than indiepop, with some darker elements too. Listen and give me some good numbers! If you enjoyed any Like Sugar, please let me know!

No comments: